· Match Results
· NovaWorld
· RP: Admin
· RP: CD
· RP: Rules
· RP: SetUp Guides

Login

New User? Sign Up!
Inactive accounts will be deleted after 6 months of non usage.

View previous topic Printable version View next topic
Jarhead
Post subject: Check out what I shot with my M-40 308!!  PostPosted: Nov 19, 2007 - 08:22 PM

I shot this twelve point buck @ 325 yards via my leica laser range finder, with my custom M-40 308. He had his head down chasing after a doe. I shot him on the move between some trees. He went about 30 yards and layed down. After about an hour I went to get him, as I approached him within about 20 feet, he jumped up and took off running. I proceeded to follow up with several shots from my 45 cal pistol finally dropping him.

The training tip here for all games is, even when there on the ground and you think there dead, pump a couple more rounds into it just to make sure!! lol

Happy Hunting everyone!!!

FYI, This pic was taken in Michigan!

Click on the picture to view the Original size

DSC09731.JPG

Reply with quote Back to top
Oane
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2007 - 11:35 AM

nice jarhead. we cant hunt over here in holland to bad:P

BobMarley
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 20, 2007 - 05:43 PM

Major
Great job Jarhead . I bet it tastes great too .

I Am Legend

Phoenix
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2007 - 08:27 PM

Staff Sergeant
cool

"Remember the dead but fight for the living" hellgate london

Stormbird
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 - 04:15 AM

Major General
Mommy, Mommy, he shot Bambi's Dad!!!...... GOOD FOR YOU JARHEAD!!! VERY NICE!!!

Stormbird

Those that have never known fear, have never known ME.

ChevyRider
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 - 04:43 AM

Sergeant
I don't like it that people do this just for fun Sad

CheeseBall
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 - 11:35 AM

Sergeant Major
That just makes me hungrey, fresh liver sliced thin with

olive oil and onions on a cast iron skillet, not even an hour

old YUM YUM!!

Nice rifle there brother, he did not have a chance.

Cheers

Trampolin Down A Pint Cheese

Cook, or be cooked. Have a nice day. Smile

RoadRage
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2007 - 08:38 PM

1st Lieutenant
Very nice buck, Jarhead.
Thats gonna put a lot of meat on the table.
It'll save ya a bunch of money on groceries.

Love the rifle. Is it an A3 done at Quantico?
For those wondering, it begins as a Remington 700, then it's action,
barrel and stock are modified for sniper duty, usually by the
Marine armorers at Quantico. In it's finished form it's worth about $3500.
Thats without sights.

RoadRage751

Kill or Be Killed

Al
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 23, 2007 - 12:29 PM

YES It Is NIce,when we were young that is what kept us alive,
mighty good eating. along with rabbit and wild hog.
Al Pimp

Jarhead
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2007 - 06:27 PM

Chevyrider and Barak,

FYI, I'm not sure where your from but in michigan we hunt animals for food. It is a great food source and we eat everything. If the price of gasoline goes up any higher, I think more people will be hunting to save money. I think this dear should provide about 50 punds of meat.
Not only that, it is all natural meat, no chemicals or preservatives. It is the only family tradition that has been passed on through the last 250 years of a farming family. It is tradition!

Sorry if this pic offended you,

Jarhead

HitMan
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2007 - 06:38 PM

Sergeant First Class
a deer is a deer..here in uk dear is very dear...petrol deisel,,
deer is a animal ...dear is costly..lol...

life is precious ..dont waste it.!!!!

VooDoo6
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2007 - 07:41 AM

Nice photo. Good kill. Great dinner! Don't apologize to anyone for keeping up this tradition. If it feeds you and your family then it is right. Animals were not put on this earth to look pretty then die quietly in the woods, only to rot away. They are our food source. They always have been. Your steak was not born in a plastic wrapper in a supermarket. I am sorry to sound hostile, but it offends me when someone thinks this is done for the mere sport of it. We eat those deer. Again, nice one Jarhead.

Stormbird
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2007 - 10:57 AM

Major General
I don't mean to post this in disrespect to anyone. I live in Southeast Ohio, along the border with West Virginia. Biasically, I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere (lol). But, I don't think that's a bad thing. I was raised in the country (and I do mean COUNTRY), in the hills of West Virginia. In comparison to other parts of the world, things are a little different here. Where I grew up, people lived around 1/2-to-1 mile away from one another. They had farms with cattle, horses, pigs and any other branyard animal you can think of. They also raised crops of various vegetables and fruits. They were for the most part, very friendly and independant folk.
And, there were deer there. But, the history of WHY the deer were there is kind of interesting.
In doing a little research, I came across some interesting facts. In 1904, white-tailed deer were EXTINCT in Ohio, West Virginia still had a few deer in the higher altitudes (mountains) but they were VERY few and unusual to see, much less shoot.
In the 1920's and 1930's, both states started to try to bring back the deer population. They were successful to the point that, after World War II deer hunting was again started to attempt to control the populations.
Well, it has certainly worked! This year, Ohio's deer population is estimated at around 600,000. West Virginia's population is estimated at around 1,000,000.
West Virginia hunters have taken on-average 150.000-to-200,000 deer annually in the last five years. Ohio take around 85,000 annually. And, the population of deer seems to just keep growing.

I haven't hunted deer for around 10 years now. But, I don't have a problem with people that do. And, I know few that would just shoot one solely for it's antlers. Commonly, they eat what they shoot, or have someone they can give it to that needs the meat for food.
Deer populations that are left unchecked can cause all kinds of problems, from crop destruction, to livestock disease, to real estate damage, to say nothing of their #1 danger, car/deer collisions. I would estimate that I see at least one-to-two car/deer collisions, every week of the year. They are a real concern in this area. Deer must have their populations controlled and the most effective and humane way to accomplish this is by licensed hunting.

Stormbird

P.S. below is an article concerning hunting in Hamilton County, Ohio. Understand that Hamilton County is better known as CINCINNATTI, Ohio. Population? Around 2,000,000 people.

'Precise' deer kill claims 20 animals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'It's a job. It's not a recreational activity.'

By Susan Vela
The Cincinnati Enquirer

A deer stands in Shawnee Lookout Park Friday near where 20 deer were harvested on the first night of a deer management program.
(Glenn Hartong photos)

CLEVES - Fighting frigid temperatures and snow flurries Thursday night, Hamilton County park rangers roamed the hills of Shawnee Lookout Forest, shooting 18 does and two young bucks from atop a Dodge pickup.

The methodical, 10-hour hunt was aimed at thinning the county's deer population. The hunts, the first ever in Hamilton County parks, are a necessary step to bring herds to manageable levels, to safeguard the environment and to reduce deer-car crashes, officials say.

By early March, the five specially trained sharpshooters hope to kill 500 deer, mainly does, at Shawnee and Mitchell Memorial forests near Cleves and Miami Whitewater Forest near Harrison.

All the meat will be donated to the needy. Venison from Thursday night's kill is being processed at an Addyston plant and should provide 3,200 meals, according to park officials.

Twenty deer "gets us well on our way ... toward the goal of reducing the deer herd. Five hundred is a lofty goal. Even if we get 200 or 300, it will still be a successful first year," said John Klein, the district's land manager.

Hamilton County Park District Ranger Sgt. Mark Brooksbank (left) and Land Manager John Klein on the shooting platform on the pickup used in the deer hunt.
| ZOOM |
He recently completed 25 hours of sharpshooter training with four other park rangers - all certified police officers.

"It's not a fun program," he said of Thursday's kill. "We're greatly improving the biodiversity of the parks. That's why we're doing this."

Hamilton County park commissioners unanimously approved the deer-shooting program in November. Hundreds of deer are living on each square mile of the targeted parks. The healthy number is 20 deer per square mile.

Ohio's deer population is exploding, jumping by more than 40 percent since 1998 to an estimated 575,000. The increase is blamed on a sharp decrease in natural predators, primarily coyotes and wolves.

Travelers are paying the price for the surge in the number of deer. In 2001, the state recorded 31,586 deer-car collisions, about 17 percent more than in 2000. Insurance officials said the crashes caused about $63.2 million in damage.

The deer are raiding the food sources and nesting grounds of smaller animals, including birds, chipmunks and squirrels, while their own numbers go unchecked.

Hamilton County officials are "just trying to lower the population as best they can," said Dan Frevert, a wildlife supervisor with the Ohio Department of Natural Resources. "The population has continued to grow unchecked. We have to rely on hunting to provide some kind of natural population control. Otherwise, we're relying on automobiles, which is not a good situation."

Although some animal rights activists have criticized the hunts, Cincinnati's Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), Cincinnati Nature Center, and other organizations have said shooting is the most efficient, humane way to reduce herds.

At dusk Thursday, park rangers gathered at Shawnee to secure the park and make sure all patrons were gone. Then they began prowling its 1,100 acres in three vehicles. Two trucks were equipped for picking up dead deer, and another had a special platform for shooters.

A ranger used a .243-caliber rifle while the truck roamed from one baited area to the next. Does were the preferred targets.

"It's a slow process," Mr. Klein said. "You have to be really patient."

During future hunts, rangers hope to kill more deer in less time. It's all a matter of learning more about deer activity, especially during moon phases.

The rangers will not shoot at more than three deer at a time.

They don't want the spooked deer to escape and then avoid their vehicles.

"We could take 20 in a third of that time, but you want to do it right," said Sgt. Mark Brooksbank, a senior firearms instructor.

"You don't want to educate other deer."

The ranger noted that there is little joy in getting the perfect shot.

"It's a job. It's not a recreational activity," he said. "You want to make sure it's done safely."

Those that have never known fear, have never known ME.

Bamg-ESP
12 Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2007 - 12:54 PM

DO I YOU TURN OUT TO BE VERY DIFFICULT TO BRING DOWN AN ALIVE DEFENSELESS BEING, DEVOID OF THE CRUELTY OF BEING A HUMAN BEING?????
I ASK THIS BECAUSE ALONE I HAVE OPENED FIRE AGAINST HUMAN BEINGS, AND THE TRUTH IS THAT I ME TURN OUT TO BE VERY DIFFICULT..... I KNOW THEY WERE MOVING VERY MUCH AND ALSO THEY WERE SHOOTING

¡¡¡SANGRE y HONOR...FUEGO y VALOR ¡¡¡¡

Click on the picture to view the Original size

Imagen 08001.JPG

Bamg-ESP
12 Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2007 - 09:43 AM

Ey, that is not worth, has been an unequal struggle, at a distinct disadvantage .... One of the animals (deer) have horns smaller than the other

Jump to: