HomeForumDownloads
Thursday, December 14, 2017

Menu
· Squad Rules
· Server Rules
· Roster


Map Downloads
Our Map Database

Nova HQ Map Database

Click here

To vote for our site

Topics
· Bootcamp
· Match Results
· NovaWorld
· RP: Admin
· RP: CD
· RP: Rules
· RP: SetUp Guides

Login
 



 


 Log in Problems?
 New User? Sign Up!
Inactive accounts will be deleted after 6 months of non usage.

  
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version View next topic
Author Message
DianeHaught
Post subject: Fall and Winter Safety Tips  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2005 - 03:18 PM





Sergeant
FALL AND WINTER SAFTEY TIPS


Wood Burning Stove



Has the flue pipe been cleaned recently? If 1/8 ďto ľĒ of creosote has built up anywhere in the total chimney system, the chimney should be cleaned.
Is the wood being used DRY- wood that is not completely dried will cause more creosote to build up in your flue pipes causing more fires?
Burn short hot fires rather than long smoldering ones.
Donít leave stove burning unattended when children are present.
Do not store dry wood near or under stove and be careful of burning embers when tending fires.
Never use gasoline or flammable liquids to start a fire.
Donít burn trash in the stove/fire place; this includes wrapping paper, Christmas trees.
Empty ashes into a metal container with a tight-fitting lid. Keep container off combustible floors. DO NOT EMPTY INTO GARBAGE CAN UNTIL COMPLETELY COOLED.


Candles with care



There were 9,930 reported candle fires in 1996 and 11,600 in 1997, the highest total in the 18 years for which statistics are available.



How do you use candles and be safe?



Never leave a burning candle unattended, or while sleeping.
Keep candles 3 feet from flammable and combustible material.
Use candle holder that are sturdy, wonít tip over easily, are made from materials that canít burn, and large enough to collect dripping wax.
Light candles carefully. Keep your hair and loose clothing away from the flame.
Keep candle wicks trimmed to one-quarter inch.
Extinguish candles when they burn down to within 2 inches of their holder.



Kitchen Fire Safety


Never leave the kitchen when cooking.
Continuously check items baking in the oven.
Donít cook if you are sleepy, if you have been drinking alcohol or if youíve taken medication that makes you drowsy.
Keep pot holders, food packaging, cookbooks & other combustible off your stove top.
Wipe up spills and clean your oven. Built up grease can catch fire.
Turn pot handles in so you canít bump them, and so little children cannot grab them..
Loose clothing can catch fire. Wear tight fitting clothes or roll up sleeves.
Declare a three-foot ďkid-free zoneĒ around your stove while you are cooking.
Microwave fires call 9-1-1 then keep the door closed and unplug the microwave. Have the oven serviced before your used it again
Prevent burns by opening microwaved food slowly. Let it cool before eating; never use a wet oven mitt. A hot pad could turn that dampness into scalding steam.
Grease Fires: if a pan of food catches fire, donít throw water on the fire and use a fire extinguisher as a last resort. This can splatter burning grease and spread the fire. Instead, smother the fire by sliding a lid over the pan, turn the burner off, if this can be done safely. Prevent flare-ups by holding the lid firmly in place until the pan has cooled.
Oven fires: turn off the oven and keep the door closed.
After extinguishing the fire, call 9-1-1 and have the fire department respond to confirm complete extinguishment.




Smoke detectors



Smoke alarms can make the difference between life and death in a fire.



∑ Smoke detectors should be installed in hallways by the sleeping areas.

∑ Smoke detectors should be installed in each sleeping room.

∑ Each floor of the home should have at one smoke detector installed.

∑ Check smoke detectors monthly to ensure they are working properly.

∑ Change the batteries on all smoke detectors every six months.


CARBON MONOXIDE

THE SILENT KILLER




Carbon monoxide is a gas that cannot be seen, tasted or smelled, and ,therefore, it is capable of killing you before you even know it is there. Household appliances fueled by gas, oil, kerosene or wood may also produce CO if the appliances are not installed, maintained or vented properly. These appliances include space heaters, gas dryers, and even barbecue grills.



Improperly operating appliances can produce fatal CO concentrations in your home. Likewise, using charcoal indoors or running a car in a garage can cause CO poisoning.



It is recommended you install at least one CO detector in your home near the sleeping area. A second detector installed near the home's heat source provides even more protection.



Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to the flu, but without the fever. They include:



∑ Dizziness

∑ Nausea

∑ Headache

∑ Fatigue

∑ Irregular breathing



Remember, if you have any of these symptoms and if you feel better when you go outside your home and the symptoms reappear once you are back inside, you may have CO poisoning.



Help keep your neighborhood safe during winter months by keeping the snow away from all fire hydrants.





Helping you live Ö safely!

Wave

Hug
Diane



"I'd rather regret something I did, than regret never doing it at all"
 
 Send private message 
Reply with quote Back to top
Display posts from previous:     
Jump to:  
All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Post new topic   Reply to topic
View previous topic Printable version View next topic
Powered by PNphpBB2 © 2003-2004 The PNphpBB Group
Credits
Fallen Members