· Match Results
· NovaWorld
· RP: Admin
· RP: CD
· RP: Rules
· RP: SetUp Guides

Login

New User? Sign Up!
Inactive accounts will be deleted after 6 months of non usage.

View previous topic Printable version View next topic
LongShot
Post subject: Hard Drive Issue  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 04:17 AM

Colonel
I have a 250 GB hard drive that was partitioned when I bought it to 50 gb for "C" drive and 200 gb for "D" drive. The problem is, everything defers to "C" drive and it is full. Is there a way to repartition the drive without losing all the info on it? or, do I even need to partition the drive?

Thx for any help.

You'll never see it coming

Reply with quote Back to top
ChalkedOutline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 04:46 AM

Everything may defer to the C drive but doesn't exactly mean it needs to go there.

When you download or install a program it will always show the default destination in your case all you have to do is simply change the C:/ to D:/

Mr.Death
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 04:56 AM

Sergeant
I think Chalked is right about that...... To address the issue the post was about. Your "c" drive is full , I think you should be able to copy whatever you want to your "D" drive them get rid of it from your "C" drive. I do think you'll have to change the target so it knows where to find it from a short cut. Cally should be able to help on that one. Good luck LS

You're at death's door

Cally
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 05:35 AM

General
The answer to your question is Yes ..... there are loads of partition programs around ...... that do it on the Fly.

Partition Magic is one of the best .... IMO

Just do a search for 'Partition on the fly' .... Basically, they all do the same job ....... you may even be able to get a free trial .... saves paying for it ..... especially as you only use it once.

I personnally ....... Dont partition anymore ..... No need ... IMHO

Disk Drives are cheap enough and gives you better data security if you have at least 2 of them.

I keep all my programs on the C drive and all Data, Backups on other drives.

When you install a program ..... the default location is always the C: drive ..... 99% of the time ..... You can put it where ever you like.

Corsair9
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 05:55 AM

Lieutenant General
With a 250 GB Drive, I would use an "on the fly" program to repartition it to a single drive. (I would also add a second one for backups, large data files, music, graphics, etc. but this is optional.)
However, remember that this will cause windows to "lose" the targets for all your shortcuts to programs and files on the current "D:" Drive. All is not lost, though. Relaunching the applications will bring up the Windows dialog box to inform you that it can't find the target. You should see an option for manually locating the target or letting Windows search for it. I would choose the manual option and simply change the Drive letter to "C:" where the current one is "D:". Letting Windows search for it is risky, especially if you have more than one file on the computer with the same name such as "dfx.exe". Windows will usually select the first one it comes across with that name and it might not be the one you want.
It sounds much more complicated than it is, really. Good luck!

"Forgiveness is between you and God, I simply arrange the meeting."

LongShot
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 06:44 AM

Colonel
Thanks Everyone. I just found out, after a little research, that Vista has its' own partitioning program built in. I will give that a try.

Cally
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 07:11 AM

General
Be carefull ...... I dont think vista does it on the fly and you may lose your data.

eitherway ..... whatever you use ...... make sure that your important data is backed up somewhere other than the drive you will partition .... cd ... or better still ...... another drive.

However, I would ......... have drive C: as one partition ...... for programs and install another drive (1 partition) for data files and backups.

CheeseBall
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 09:01 AM

Sergeant Major
Let me know how that goes Longshot, being a Vistan
also.

Cheese

Cook, or be cooked. Have a nice day. Smile

Mr.Death
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 25, 2008 - 04:11 PM

Sergeant
I have an external drive thatI back my whole system up to. I only turn it on whenI'm backing up my stuff then off it goes . I do it because if a virus does get past my AVG it wont go to all my drives. My second drive is 250 so I have plenty of room for backing this thing up to. And as Cally stated they are very cheap for tons of storage. You can get 1 TB for around $150 now I know 150 is alot of $$ but it's cheaper than having everything go bye bye. . Just my 2 cents

You're at death's door

LongShot
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 - 08:37 AM

Colonel
No luck at all. It doesn't let me expand my "C" drive, only shrink it. So, I will reload my games onto the "back-up" portion of the drive.

ChevyRider
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2008 - 08:51 AM

Sergeant
You have to make place on your D:, if that is the same fysik disk.
Then you can expand C: , thus shrinking D:.
All with Partition Magic.

Jump to: