Barracks - Can Your Dental Fillings Poison You?
DianeHaught - Mar 18, 2008 - 05:27 AM
Post subject: Can Your Dental Fillings Poison You?
Can Your Dental Fillings Poison You?
Mercury Amalgam Fillings Are Potentially Harmful
Are the fillings in your teeth poisoning you? It may sound absurd, but there is a valid concern that the mercury used in amalgam dental fillings may indeed release vapor that can bio-accumulate in the body. Bio-accumulation is the process where a toxin can build up in the tissues and cells of the body without being flushed out or reduced. Over time, a toxin like lead or mercury can cause detrimental affects to someone who has in one way or another, acquired the poison. While it hasn't been proven conclusively at this point, dental amalgam has become a suspect in mercury poisoning.
For this reason, many dentists have or are in the process of switching over to a non-mercury resin filling. Amalgam is made of an alloy of elemental mercury, silver, tin and copper, sometimes with additional metals as well, and has been used for more than a hundred years. The resin fillings contain no toxic substances and are colored to blend better with the tooth. While they don't generally last as long as an amalgam filling, they also won't emit toxic fumes. Some researchers believe that the mercury in the amalgam releases poisonous vapors during chewing or perhaps even at times when the teeth are not being used at all. A slow leaching or emission could occur any time. Some people with amalgam fillings have complained of headaches, nausea and a host of other problems that can't be otherwise explained.
Once hearing of the possibility of mercury poisoning, they have volunteered to have their amalgam fillings removed and replaced with resin fillings. Afterwards, many claimed to have a miraculous recovery. Removal of amalgam fillings, however, also presents a problem since the amalgam will need to be drilled and scraped out of the tooth cavity, thereby releasing the dangerous vapors during the procedure. But, many patients are willing to subject themselves to the short term exposure just to be rid of the amalgam in their mouths. Dental hygienists and dentists exercise caution when dealing with mercury amalgam and have to wear respirator masks so they won't be exposed to the vapor.
Dentists as well have to be very careful around amalgam. In fact, mercury is a hazardous waste and must be used and disposed of under strict regulations. In many cities, any scrap amalgam or even extracted teeth containing amalgam, has to be placed in a secure container and picked up by a certified hazardous waste company. Nobody doubts the toxicity of mercury, but until more research is conducted that actually proves how amalgam fillings contribute to the bioaccumulation of mercury in the human body, dental patients can request their dentists to use resin fillings, just in case.
By Gemma Argent, published Apr 30, 2007
It is not the intention of Raptor-Pack to provide specific medical advice but rather to provide users with information to better understand their health and their diagnosed disorders. Specific medical advice will not be provided, and Raptor-Pack urges you to consult with a qualified physician for diagnosis and for answers to your personal questions and specific medical advice
All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Powered by PNphpBB2
© 2003-2004 The PNphpBB GroupCredits