Barracks - Are We Poisoning Ourselves with Mercury?
DianeHaught - Mar 18, 2008 - 05:21 AM
Post subject: Are We Poisoning Ourselves with Mercury?
Dangerous, Deadly Mercury
Are We Poisoning Ourselves with Mercury?
For many years mercury has been used to make paint, batteries, pesticides, skin cream, dental fillings and even vaccines. Sometimes called quicksilver, mercury is an extremely dangerous metal which becomes liquified at room temperature. In America's factories tons of mercury by-product is poured into the air each year. On rainy days the mercury is carried from the air into ponds and streams where concentrations of it are found in seafood of all types.
Infants contaminated by mercury can have a broad range of disabilities including blindness, deafness, cerebral palsy and mental retardation amongst others. In adults mercury can be responsible for dementia, limb numbness and even death. Most people are exposed to mercury in their lives, particularly older generations before the dangers of mercury were well known.
Studies have shown that even low levels of mercury can be extremely toxic. Babies who were exposed to even tiny doses of mercury before birth can have slower reflexes, speech problems, and even autism. Heart disease in adults is sometimes linked to the ingestion of mercury.
Mercury is a slow killer. And, the method at which you are exposed to mercury plays a large roll in how much affect the poison will have. Although mercury can't be rapidly absorbed through the stomach or intestines it can be easily breathed and sent straight to the brain.
The most common way to be poisoned by mercury is through seafood. Although there is mercury in the air as well higher concentrations of mercury are found in fish, lobster and crab. And tuna, shark and swordfish are the species of fish which are the most likely to have high concentrations of mercury.
Although more studies are needed to decide how little mercury it takes to harm a human the amounts are now considered to be very low. Some regulations have changed the way we have done things in the past. Teeth are filled using different materials, government regulations limit how much mercury can be dumped into the air and people are being made aware of the dangers of eating fish frequently.
Mercury poisoning can be mis-diagnosed as allergies, Alzheimer's, anxiety, asthma, colitis, bipolar disease, lupus, Parkinson's disease, insomnia, or multiple sclerosis. Some symptoms of mercury poisoning are the same symptoms found in other diseases and ailments: memory loss, muscle and joint aches, feelings of anxiety, headaches, muscle spasms, dizziness, numbness or stomach problems.
Only a physician can tell if you have a high level of mercury in your system but if you've ever chewed on pieces of paint, swam and played in rivers, gotten fillings in your teeth, eaten great quantities of fish over a lifetime, or been exposed to paint fumes quite often you may be at risk for mercury poisoning. If you have some mercury-poisoning symptoms talk to your doctor about doing some tests to check your level. Your physician can tell you of methods that are being used nowadays to rid the system of mercury. Lower your risk of mercury intake by not swimming in streams or rivers, limiting the amount of fish you eat - particularly tuna - and having old fillings replaced with newer ones using safer materials.
By Emma S., published Aug 30, 2005
It is not the intention of Raptor-Pack to provide specific medical advice but rather to provide users with information to better understand their health and their diagnosed disorders. Specific medical advice will not be provided, and Raptor-Pack urges you to consult with a qualified physician for diagnosis and for answers to your personal questions and specific medical advice
All times are GMT + 7 Hours
Powered by PNphpBB2
© 2003-2004 The PNphpBB GroupCredits